The courses featured here are not free, although they may offer a free trial (all links open in a new window).
- Language Experts - One to one tutoring in European or Brazilian Portuguese. This is unusual in that you actually get a teacher who can provide individual help over Skype or even face-to-face (mainly in London). Prices are quite reasonable with lessons available from £8 for 30 minutes up to 2 hours at a time, and you can save money by buying lesson packages (gift vouchers are also available). A free trial lesson is available when you subscribe to their newsletter.
- Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese - A very comprehensive set of courses available as MP3 downloads or CDs. The Pimsleur method is based on principles derived from extensive research into memory and linguistics, and claims to make language learning easy and memorable.
- Pimsleur European Portuguese - As above, but the European course is quite new so not as many levels are available just yet.
- PortuguesePod101.com - Learn Portuguese using podcasts. Some content is available free of charge, but you can upgrade to a paid package for further lessons.
- Language Course Centre - Online, interactive course for Brazilian Portuguese.
- Babbel - A very slick interactive online training course with voice recognition to help you perfect your pronunciation, although, as with most courses, it has a Brazilian bias. A free trial is available.
Disclosure: I earn a small commission if anyone signs up with a provider mentioned on this page using the links provided. Without this dribble of income, I would not be able to keep the site running!