Free Online Portuguese Lessons and Courses
For learning the pronunciation and grammar of European Portuguese, please see the free course available on this site. For other free online courses in Portuguese, please refer to the following links (all external links open in a new window). If you come across a genuinely free Portuguese language course with no strings attached, please let me know so I can add a link to it from here.
- Idiot's Guide to Learning Portuguese - the free pronunciation and grammar course on this site.
- Learn Portuguese with Rafa - whilst there is some commercial content, Rafa does nevertheless give away a lot of very useful information for free, and this site is well worth a look. The tone is conversational and easy to follow, and unusually, both European and Brazilian Portuguese is taught.
- Basic Portuguese Language Tutorial - mostly vocabulary lists, but also some short grammar lessons. Brazilian and European alternatives are given, but it is not always made clear which is which.
- Facebook Daily Portuguese Tips - Bite-size lessons delivered at frequent intervals straight to your Facebook newsfeed. Emphasis on European Portuguese (yay!)
- Portuguese Langauge Guide - Tips and tools for learning Portuguese, with a verb conjugator and language tests to check your progress.
- Online Courses - This site links through to various openware courses from different universities - at the time of writing there is one course listed for Portuguese from MIT, which is mainly Brazilian. Check out the other subjects on onlinecourses.com too - lots of good stuff!
De Tudo um Pouco
- a gaudy site which uses frames, but the content is excellent and quite comprehensive. Lots
of very useful audio (clearly spoken, but in a European Portuguese
accent - almost a contradiction!), and no adverts. Unfortunately, this site seems to have disappeared off the face of the internet. :o(
- BBC Talk Portuguese - an introduction to basic vocabulary for tourists, covering a mixture of Brazilian and European usage.
- Foreign Services Institute
- a US-government language course (now in the public domain, and published by Glen D Fellows) for
Brazilian Portuguese, including notes about European differences.
Consists of a total of 48 units in 2 volumes - typewritten and
available as PDF downloads. Accompanying audio files (mp3) are also
available for download.
- Easy Portuguese - a collection of lessons in Brazilian Portuguese. Audio files available. Lots of adverts though!
- Tá Falado - also Brazilian I'm afraid, but with the specific slant of teaching English-speakers who are already familiar with Spanish. Lessons are delivered as podcasts, with PDF transcripts.
For more courses that are not entirely free (but might contain a free trial), see this page: http://www.learningportuguese.co.uk/home-page/other-portuguese-courses.html
Powered by AkoComment!